It’s been a minute since I’ve been as taken aback by a film’s values as I am by the new Batman.
I just don’t feel about cops, criminals, white people, parole, violence, “organized crime,” euphemisms, national anthems, the supposed bourgeoisie or the purported proletariat the way you’re supposed to for that exercise in paranoia to work.
Three hours of brutal, humorless fear.
It did not make me feel good.
That awkwardness was why I liked it. I thought Hathaway’s character was the hero of the film, and acted as a stern criticism of those aspects of the Bat-mythos
But she was barely in it and had no subjective qualities. She didn’t have any individuated motivation for anything except a vague wish to start over, and a giant sign over her head reading JUST WAIT FOR MY HAN SOLO MOMENT. I don’t know where to read the stern criticism from her role in the film.
I mean her very presence illuminated the hypermasculinism of the whole enterprise, but mainly by failing to provide contrast. If being exemplary of a problem functions as criticism, then okay, but she still didn’t do anything to be like “WAIT… cops and prisons are actually pretty TERRIBLE, what gives!??”
- dahelm reblogged this from rljd and added:
- chasingdunamis likes this
- mistersparkle likes this
- rljd reblogged this from dahelm and added:
- andiante likes this
- flashbackdisco reblogged this from hassavocado and added:
- queerandpresentdanger likes this
- hassavocado reblogged this from rljd and added:
- dahelm likes this
- mendelpalace likes this
- wolvensnothere likes this
- mercurialblonde reblogged this from rljd and added:
- navajomoose reblogged this from rljd and added:
- hassavocado likes this
- trmblblg likes this
- wolvensnothere reblogged this from mercurialblonde and added:
- navajomoose said:Its interesting that the villains in Batman movies always criticize the “corruption” which batman of all people could probably fix, but between movies it’s kind of implied he spent the whole time beating up muggers.
- itwasnotdarksome likes this
- dahelm said:ay this hurts… I shall not comment (even though I just did).
- sixtyforty likes this
- iconoclasticallyqueer reblogged this from rljd and added:
- wickedkvnt reblogged this from rljd and added:
- iconoclasticallyqueer likes this