There have been two great epic-scale adventures of the post War era: The fall of the Soviet empire and the Apollo program. Neither of them has gotten a great movie yet.
The Apollo program was the only truly uncharted adventure of our time. Where anything at all could have happened. Since then all we’ve had is manufactured thrills. And fought each other.
For those of us who weren’t born in 1969, today was the one day in your life that will always be in the history books. Armstrong was, one must say, the most famous person on the planet. 1000 years from now Barak Obama and Mitt Romney, Brad Pitt, the Kardashians, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire, Beyonce and Britney and every single person with a Twitter account no matter how many followers will have been forgotten, but still every school child will know Neil Armstrong’s name along with Columbus, Galileo and one or two others.
And he maintained it without Tweeting, blogging, podcasting, starting a fragrance line or starring in a reality show. He did a handful of interviews over the 40 years since Apollo, and that is it. No building his brand or thinking of other ways he could exploit his accomplishment. He did something absolutely unimaginable, at total risk before the eyes of the world, broke through our sense of the limitations of mankind, then he went to Ohio and taught math. What he did was left to stand on its own, without layer upon layer of grossness piled on top of it.
Someday, we may see another of his kind. But we’re not probably not anytime soon.
I get two major takeaways from the commentary written above.
- Mr Rushfield thinks that podcasting et al are the hallmarks of an ignoble and wasted existence;
- Mr Rushfield thinks that Neil Armstrong did the whole space program single-handedly.
- wickedampd reblogged this from wickedpiercing
- goesbycaptain reblogged this from wilwheaton
- variations likes this
- showmeastack likes this
- imickeyd likes this
- pop-arcana reblogged this from wilwheaton
- dontjudgeabitch reblogged this from jessthealaskan
- yellowonesdontstop likes this
- mothballmilkshake reblogged this from cracked
- alocomotiveofhistory reblogged this from wheretheraindontfall
- lithiumrox likes this
- modestpomp likes this
- ozkaruriel reblogged this from wilwheaton
- smokinrumanddrinkinbud reblogged this from cracked
- sinusoidalpi reblogged this from c0neja-blanca
- dreamofbecoming reblogged this from wilwheaton
- andrewadjei reblogged this from wilwheaton
- lisacle likes this
- twinkiesandwine likes this
- aithine likes this
- icykitty likes this
- ivegotacaseofthedts reblogged this from cracked
- purepopfornowpeople likes this
- jessiferrr likes this
- swayme-likethesea likes this
- sandee2081 likes this
- willlgrahms reblogged this from wilwheaton
- inneedofmuses reblogged this from wilwheaton
- only1miouo reblogged this from wilwheaton
- kioko110 reblogged this from remadi
- conordjpc reblogged this from darran
- losingmyshitaswespeak likes this
- cultureeater likes this
- notarealgreendressthatscruel reblogged this from wilwheaton
- farmpuma likes this
- awesomesplendor likes this
- gentlemanloser reblogged this from wilwheaton
- floweranza reblogged this from cracked
- darran reblogged this from wilwheaton
- kimt64 likes this
- jnicolon reblogged this from paulftompkins
- afanofthings reblogged this from wilwheaton
- juannablaze reblogged this from wilwheaton
- sewphresh likes this
- tricoachdawn likes this
- iammasterfox likes this
- becannyandcareful likes this
- teenagewildlife likes this
- hoola121 reblogged this from cracked
- whitegurrrlproblems reblogged this from nedhepburn